1 a drop of the clear salty saline solution secreted by the lacrimal glands; "his story brought tears to her eyes" [syn: teardrop]
2 an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart; "there was a rip in his pants"; "she had snags in her stockings" [syn: rip, rent, snag, split]
3 an occasion for excessive eating or drinking; "they went on a bust that lasted three days" [syn: bust, binge, bout]
4 the act of tearing; "he took the manuscript in both hands and gave it a mighty tear"
1 separate or cause to separate abruptly; "The rope snapped"; "tear the paper" [syn: rupture, snap, bust]
2 to separate or be separated by force; "planks were in danger of being torn from the crossbars"
3 move quickly and violently; "The car tore down the street"; "He came charging into my office" [syn: shoot, shoot down, charge, buck]
4 strip of feathers; "pull a chicken"; "pluck the capon" [syn: pluck, pull, deplume, deplumate, displume]
2 disrupted by the pull of contrary forces; "torn between love and hate"; "torn by conflicting loyalties"; "torn by religious dissensions"torn See tear
- (rip, rend, speed).
- The past participle of the tear, meaning "produce liquid from the eyes", is teared.
- A thorn (1)
EtymologyFrom West Germanic. Cognate with Old Saxon torn (Dutch toorn), Old High German zorn (German Zorn).
Nountorn (plural same)
Torn may refer to:
- "Torn" (Evergrey album), a 2008 album by the progressive metal band Evergrey
- "Torn" (Ednaswap song), a 1995 song by Ednaswap, covered by Natalie Imbruglia in 1997
- "Torn" (Abstract Tribe Unique), a 1997 song by Abstract Tribe Unique off of Mood Pieces.
- "Torn" (LeToya Luckett song), a 2006 single by Letoya Luckett
- "Torn" (Creed song), a 1998 song by the band Creed
- Torn (TV series), a 3 part 2007 series which aired on ITV
- "Torn" (Battlestar Galactica), an episode of the television series Battlestar Galactica
- Black Isle's Torn, a cancelled computer role-playing game
- ''Torn can also refer to a character on the video game series Jak and Daxter.
torn in Korean: Torn
affected, aggravated, agonized, alienated, broken, burned, burst, busted, checked, chipped, cleft, cloven, cracked, crazed, cut, damaged, deteriorated, devoured by, disaffected, disunited, divided, dowdy, down-at-heel, down-at-the-heels, embittered, estranged, exacerbated, frayed, frazzled, full of holes, harmed, holey, hurt, imbued with, impaired, imperfect, impressed, impressed with, in bits, in pieces, in rags, in shards, in shreds, in tatters, injured, irreconcilable, irritated, lacerate, lacerated, mangled, moved, mutilated, obsessed, obsessed by, patchy, penetrated with, quartered, racked, ragged, raggedy, ratty, rent, riven, ruptured, scalded, scorched, scruffy, seedy, seized with, separated, severed, shabby, shattered, shoddy, shredded, slashed, slit, smashed, splintered, split, sprung, stricken, tacky, tattered, tatty, the worse for, tortured, touched, weakened, worse, worse off, worsened, wracked